Monday, August 25, 2008

Summer's Done & I'm Thinking of Music

When you have a blog, you spend all kinds of fruitless time agonizing over what you should post and whether anyone will actually care about what you have to say.

Well, I now know this simple truth: Nobody gives a shit--ever.

This is fine, because it frees you from the shackles of popular opinion and/or interest. Since I know no one cares, I can post what I want, which is the following:

Below are all albums I deem essential to have in your home at all times. I'll break them into two categories: driving (albums for the car) or thinking (albums for relaxing or staring). I'll try to keep most before 1990, but there others past the grunge era I can't omit. You may like them, or you may hate them. Regardless, I mean well, so please consider my subjective genius. But, like I've typed above, you probably don't care. If you do, here we go:

Driving:

Exile On Main Street - The Rolling Stones
Sticky Fingers - The Rolling Stones
A Hard Day's Night - The Beatles
Odelay - Beck
We Were Born In A Flame - Sam Roberts
London Calling - The Clash
Are You Experienced? - Jimi Hendrix
Lifeline - Ben Harper
The Great Twenty-Eight - Chuck Berry
Ben Folds Five - Ben Folds Five
Big Red Letter Day - Buffalo Tom
Actung Baby - U2
This Year's Model - Elvis Costello
Pinkerton - Weezer
Emblems - Matt Pond PA
Attack & Release - The Black Keys
Rubber Factory - The Black Keys
It Still Moves - My Morning Jacket
Z - My Morning Jacket
Yeah, It's That Easy - G Love & Special Sauce
The Georgia Peach - Little Richard
Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan
Demolition - Ryan Adams
Descended Like Vultures - Rogue Wave
Funeral - The Arcade Fire
Greatest Hits - The Guess Who
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - Wilco
Mermaid Avenue, Vol. 1 - Billy Bragg & Wilco
Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band
Live at Folsom Prison - Johnny Cash
Aha Shake Heartbreak - Kings of Leon
One Chord To Another - Sloan

Thinking:

Astral Weeks - Van Morrison
St. Dominic's Preview - Van Morrison
New York Sessions '67 - Van Morrison
Imagine - John Lennon
In Concert - Jimmy Cliff
XO - Elliot Smith
Either/Or - Elliot Smith
Axis: Bold As Love - Jimi Hendrix
All Things Must Pass - George Harrison
The Very Best of Cat Stevens - Cat Stevens
Abbey Road - The Beatles
The Beatles (White Album) - The Beatles
The Joshua Tree - U2
Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology - Otis Redding
Fisherman's Blues - The Waterboys
The Basement Tapes - Bob Dylan & The Band
Blood On The Tracks - Bob Dylan
The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan - Bob Dylan
The Last Waltz - The Band
White Ladder - David Gray
Lost Songs - David Gray
At Dawn - My Morning Jacket
Devils & Dust - Bruce Springsteen
Nebraska - Bruce Springsteen
The River - Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band
Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J. - Bruce Springsteen
In The Aeroplane Over The Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel
A Ghost Is Born - Wilco
Sky Blue Sky - Wilco
Once (Soundtrack) - Glen Hansard
Illinoise - Sufjan Stevens
Trouble - Ray LaMontagne
Live at Luther College - Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds

See what happens when you stop caring what people think? You type what you want. Then again, if I didn't care, why are the above recommendations? Apparently, boredom can induce contradiction.

The unfortunate truth about blogs: If you want anyone to read, you need to interest someone with something. Hopefully, I just did.

1 comment:

Bruce Lerch said...

Not one mention of the self-titled album from Boston? You and I are going to have a serious discussion about this at the Herald...